We are seeking an intelligent, articulate, innovative and curious technology professional to step up and manage Darien Library’s cutting-edge infrastructure. This position is a unique opportunity to apply a wide range of skills and expertise in an exciting environment that is constantly changing and adapting to emerging trends.
Darien Library is known world-wide as a technology innovator within the library industry. We don't consider ourselves to be just a library--we prefer to think of ourselves as a high-performing, forward-thinking organization that happens to be a library, one that consistently sets trends rather than follows them. We are ranked as one of the top 10 public libraries in the country for its size, according to Hennen's American Public Library Rating. Darien Library holds itself to the highest possible standard of customer service and we pride ourselves on providing a fulfilling and enriching experience to all who visit us either in person or on the web.
If you feel that you are ready to join the best library team in the world, we want to hear from you, To apply, send your cover letter and resume to the address below. Include in your cover letter a link to a video that you have recorded, no longer than two minutes, that demonstrates how you are great and why you are the right person for the position. We engage with our community daily, so we are seeking evidence of your sustained engagement in social media. Please let us know how to find you on twitter, Reddit, tumblr, GitHub, etc. Do you blog? What’s the address? Please include anything else you would like to share.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position would be a 50/50 split combination of system administrator and coder, reporting to the Assistant Director.
* 50% of responsibilities would include ongoing maintenance and management of the Library's network and server infrastructure supervise tech staff and coordinate with vendors:
* Perform regularly scheduled operations, such as backups, log analysis, software audits, and security checks.
* Provide Tier III or equivalent-level tech support to the organization. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
* The development and maintenance of complete, in-depth documentation of and procedures for the Library's technology configuration.
* Work with the assistant director on the development and tracking of the library's technology budget.
* 50% of responsibilities would involve active software development:
* Have experience working in a collaborative development environment using version control best practices.
* Would need to become familiar with existing code-bases (SOPAC, Locum, Insurge, Databoard, etc)
* Work with other Darien Library staff and development team partners from other libraries.
* Take an active role in identifying areas for potential improvement.
* Be proactive about learning and applying knowledge of emerging trends and technologies.
* Develop and manage a departmental budget.
* Other duties as assigned.
Backup and recovery
Windows Active Directory
Protocol Fundamentals: DHCP, DNS, SMTP, SNTP, NTP, SMB, etc
Other Fundamentals: RAID, HA, Storage management, etc
XHTML & CSS
Git & Github
Adobe Creative Suite
Apple Final Cut Pro
Microsoft Office Suite
Integrated library systems or inventory control systems
Cisco VoIP software and equipment
HP Procurve networking
HP Proliant and IBM SystemX server hardware
Working knowledge of quality control systems
Emerging trends and technologies
Social media engagement
Raiser's Edge software