What are Books in a Bag?Books in a Bag are bags of 10 books that your book group can check out for six weeks.
Can my book group register with the Library?Yes! Just register online. One or more members of your book group needs to be a resident of Darien. Books in a bag are available only to book groups that are registered with us.
Can I request a title for a Books in a Bag?Yes! We ask that you work with us at least two weeks before your group needs the book.
But we really want to read the hottest bestseller!While we try to maintain a current collection of hot books, if you do not see what you are looking for, please ask!
Consider Your Leadership StyleThe best type of leadership for a given book group often evolves.
- Strong moderator: leader led, questions and comments pass through leader
- Soft facilitator: more group centered where leader keeps discussion on topic and inserts questions when conversation lags
- No leader: free flowing conversation
How to Prepare
- Read the book carefully.
- Take notes.
- Jot down page numbers to refer to during discussion.
- Research the time period and the setting.
- Research the author.
- Read reviews – consider reading a selected review for reaction to find varying points of view.
- Look for publisher’s discussion questions for possible use.
- Write your own questions that may be more relevant to your group.