The Adopt-a-Shelf program is a volunteer opportunity to make a tangible and immediate impact on the findability of library books.
The volunteer adopts a bookshelf or section of the Library to maintain. The volunteer then visits the Library and works to keep that shelf area neat and orderly.
The impact of an Adopt-a-Shelf volunteer is invaluable! You ensure that books are kept in the proper order which will help everyone find the book they are looking for quickly.
- Assist Darien Library with keeping the bookshelves looking great.
- Meet with Library staff for a brief orientation and training.
- Use alphabetical and numerical skills to shelf read.
- Arrange books neatly on the shelf by pulling them forward if necessary.
- Shift materials, if necessary, so that each row is easy to browse.
- Work independently.
- Remove clutter and left behind bookmarks.
The Adopt-a-Shelf program fosters community, brings people together, and empowers volunteers to make a meaningful impact in their Library.
Kiera Parrott, Director of Darien Library