With the price of eggs still sky high, isn't it time you raised your own chickens? Find out how easy, fun and rewarding these avian creatures are! Expert master gardener and farmer, Mark Gostkiewics will tell what you need to know to start and maintain a happy, healthy flock of chickens, all while using sustainable and organic practices. With the right knowledge, raising chickens can be a fun and rewarding experience for the whole family.
You'll learn about:
- Choosing the right number and breed of chickens for your backyard
- Where to source chicks and adult hens
- Raising chicks into healthy laying hens
- How to select the perfect coop and run for your flock
- Efficient ways to feed and water your chickens
- Tips for designing a coop that suits your chickens' needs
- How to involve your family in the care of your chickens
- Pros and cons of various coop and fencing options
Step into the world of backyard chicken keeping and discover the joys of having your own feathered friends!
About the Presenter
Mark Gostkiewics is the owner of Tri Gable Lea Farm in Colchester, Connecticut, which has been in the family for generations. In 2013, he started the farm's first CSA, and since then has added classes on natural processes, organic and sustainable practices, homesteading and how to care for a plant from seed to plate. Mark is also a middle and high school math teacher and is certified in special education.