Statement of Policy
The Darien Library subscribes to Article IV of the Library Bill of Rights which states that facilities should be made available to the public served by the Library on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
The Darien Library considers the availability and use of its Meeting Rooms as an integral part of its service to the community. In that regard, Meeting Rooms are available, when not required for Library activities, to qualifying Darien non-profit organizations, to Town of Darien Boards, Departments and Commissions, State of CT and United States governmental organizations, and to for-profit organizations for their own internal purposes only.
The following Meeting Rooms are available for rent on approval of submitted online application:
- Community Room (fixed seating for 150, maximum seating for 171 people; room capacity 225)
- Conference Room (maximum of 22 people seated at a conference table, or approximately 40 if seated for a presentation; room capacity 45)
- Small Conference Room (maximum of 12 people)
- Temporarily Unavailable: Technology Training Center (maximum of 12 people)
The following Study Rooms are available at no charge for reservation in advance by Darien residents, those who work full time in Darien, and non-resident Friends of the Darien Library at the $300 annual level. Contact the Room Bookings Coordinator or Knowledge and Learning Staff:
- Second Level Harris Room (maximum of 8 people)
- Mezzanine Lautenbach Writer’s Room (maximum of 6 people)
- Mezzanine Quiet Study Rooms (Three) (maximum of 2 people)
Rooms are booked in two-hour slots. Study Rooms are held for 15 minutes after reservation begins and may be forfeited after that time. These rooms are available to others on a space-available basis, without advance reservation.
Study rooms are available during regular Library hours.
The Community Room and Conference Room may be available for use at times outside the Library’s normal hours by special request and payment of additional fees.
The Room Bookings Coordinator will review the online application form submitted by any qualified applicant, and will process applications in order of their receipt. The application is available online on the Library’s web site.
The Library Director shall cancel any approved reservation with notice in the event of a Darien Library requirement. An appeal of this decision may be made to the Library’s Board of Trustees.
Every applicant will designate an individual responsible for supervision of the use of the Meeting Room, and who will be responsible for damages and payment for additional cleaning required afterwards.
Qualifying as a Darien Non-Profit Group
Non-profit organizations (NFP) not known to Darien Library will be asked to demonstrate their non-profit status. Any of the following criteria will qualify a group as a Darien non-profit:
- The NFP is a registered 501c organization incorporated using a physical Darien address.
- The NFP maintains a permanent physical office within Darien.
- A resident of Darien is an officer or member of the Board of Directors on a registered 501c NFP and can serve as the room rental applicant.
- The NFP is a formalized and governed Darien neighborhood association.
- The NFP is a Darien youth sports organization.
The Room Bookings Coordinator will work with applicants to determine their identity as a Darien non-profit. Qualified groups must apply to have their eligibility reviewed every three (3) years.
For Use by Not-for-Profit Organizations
|Community Room||$35/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Conference Room||$35/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Small Conference Room||$35/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Temporarily Unavailable: Technology Training Center||$75/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Other Meeting Rooms||No Charge|
For Use by For-Profit Organizations
|Community Room||$175/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Conference Room||$125/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Small Conference Room||$100/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Temporarily Unavailable: Technology Training Center||$150/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
|Other Meeting Rooms||$50/hr. (2 hour minimum)|
A deposit in the amount of one (1) hour at the room rate is required before the room booking can be confirmed. If the room booking is cancelled within 48 hours of the reserved time, the deposit is non-refundable.
Use of technology in the Community Room or Conference Room will incur the following fees:
- Microphone only — No Charge
- Initial technology setup only — $50 flat fee
- Dedicated support technician — $50/hr. (2 hour minimum)
Use of any meeting room by any organization before or after regular Library hours will require an additional staffing fee.
Fees or expenses are to be paid online or by check to the “Darien Library.” Town of Darien Boards, Departments, and Commissions, and State of CT and United States governmental organizations are exempted from these fees and requirements.
For events outside of regular Library hours, a Certificate of Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit of Liability for Bodily Injury and Property Damage is required. This may be obtained from your insurance agency and must be provided before approval of your reservation request. The Town of Darien and the Darien Library must be named as “Additional Insureds” on the Insurance Certificate for the times the Meeting Room is requested.
The Room Bookings Coordinator’s approval is required in advance for all publicity and all items that will be distributed at a meeting at which the public is in attendance.
Publicity includes, but is not limited to, press releases, flyers, posters, pamphlets, banners, emails, and social media.
All materials should focus on the event and its sponsor, and should not in any way appear to portray the event as a Darien Library event. To that extent there should be no images or likenesses of the Library, no use of the Library’s logo, or a combination of colors and typeface that mirror the Library’s. Non-library groups and individuals may not use the Library’s address and phone number as their own or as contact information regarding their event.
All publicity must include the following text:
This event is held at, but not sponsored by, Darien Library. Any views and opinions expressed are not those of the Library.
- Meeting Rooms may not be used for business solicitations, fund-raising, or political campaigning.
- The Room Bookings Coordinator, in consultation with the Library Director, is authorized to determine the appropriate use of the room and may require additional supporting information to be provided. In case of denial of use, appeal may be made in writing to the Library Board of Trustees. The decision of the Board of Trustees will be final.
- Library sponsored events receive priority in scheduling. Availability of the Meeting Rooms at all other times shall be on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The fact that a group is permitted to use a Meeting Room does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs by the Library.
- The Library reserves the right to impose limitations on the frequency of use of the Meeting Rooms by an organization or individual.
- Admission fees are not to be charged by any group using the Meeting Rooms.
- Smoking is permitted on Library grounds so long as it is at least 25 feet from Library doors. Smoking is not permitted inside the Library.
- Applicant agrees to observe all Darien Library policies regarding use of the library and understands that the Library reserves the right to enforce policies as necessary.